VA Long Beach Healthcare System
We are pleased that you are interested in the Dental Service of VA Long Beach Healthcare System. Our mission is to provide and promote excellent oral health care to our Veteran patients.
- General Dentistry
- Oral Surgery
- Root Canal Therapy
- Preventive and Comprehensive Dental Care
Veterans often have questions about whether or not they can get dental care at the VA. Federal law limits the dental benefits provided by the VA. Below are some common questions about who may qualify for outpatient VA dental care.
Who is eligible for routine outpatient dental care?
- Veterans who receive compensation for a service-connected dental disability, or those who are rated 100% service-connected (a temporary 100% rating is not eligible).
- Veterans who were prisoners of war.
- Veterans recently discharged from active duty who did not have their dental treatment completed before discharge. They can receive one-time treatment if their DD214 shows dental treatment has not been completed. An application must be made within 180 days of separation from active duty.
- To determine eligibility please contact the Patient Business Office, Registration and Eligibility section, at 562-826-8000, ext. 5915. It is located in bldg. 126-A, room OP-106.
- The laws that determine who qualifies for even more complex than the summary given above. If you believe that you qualify for VA dental care, contact the Business office to verify your service connection and apply for care.
Who is eligible for emergency dental care?
Treatment for patients not otherwise eligible is limited to treating a dental condition that endangers a patient’s life or health. These patients will be billed for the treatment and referred to the private sector for routine care needs.
If I am not eligible for routine dental care from the VA, can I get information about reduced fee dental services available in the Community?
VA’s comprehensive VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP) gives enrolled Veterans and CHAMPVA beneficiaries the opportunity to purchase dental insurance through Delta Dental and MetLife at a reduced cost. Participation is voluntary. Purchasing a dental plan does not affect Veterans’ eligibility for VA dental services and treatment.
Covered services include diagnostic, preventative, surgical, emergency and endodontic/restorative treatment. Delta Dental and MetLife are offering multiple plans. Each participant pays the fixed monthly premiums for coverage and any copayments required, depending on the type of plan selected.
Dependents of Veterans, except those eligible under CHAMPVA, are not authorized to participate in VADIP. Those individuals may be eligible for separate dental insurance coverage offered by these carriers.
For more information about VADIP, explore their website at: www.va.gov/healthbenefits/vadip/
Long Beach VA Medical Center
Bldg. 126, 2nd floor
- 800-826-8000 Ext. 5407
Hours of Operation
- M-F, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.